“I Hope This Works…” by Robyn Nielsen
Parts used: Juice from tin
Application: Sponge brush
Exposure time: 4.5 hours under 100w UV light (placed 12 cm from the light source)
Month, season and year: August, winter 2022 – but I used a UV light
Substrate: Eraldo Di Paolo Watercolour paper (100% cotton, rough, 300 gsm)
Contrast of final print: ** (Medium) (this is my first one so I can’t really compare it to anything, although the subject came up really clear, so it must be good)
Amount: Maybe a tablespoon, I just poured some into a container from the tin
Extracted using: I didn’t do anything, but it came from a tin from the supermarket, so I gather it is cooked (unsure).
Thinner: My sister’s favourite vodka was sampled (only a couple of mL). The ingredients of the beetroot tin: [beetroot (60%), water, sugar, food acid (acetic acid), salt]
Used to create image: Rough Maidenhair Fern (Adiantum hispidulum) leaves and stem
Challenges or observations: This was my first beetroot anthotype (I have done only 2 other anthotypes previously using Turmeric), and it was very easy. It was just very messy and I had to be careful to cover everything with newspaper. I dried it in the laundry and it was getting late on the 4th coat and not drying that well, so I used a hairdryer, which worked well. I didn’t expose it until the next day, so I kept it in a book and wrapped newspaper around the book to keep the light out. I didn’t want to chase the winter sun the next day, so I used my UV light. There is a slight shadow effect because the paper was placed so close to the UV light (so there was less light on the edges).