Do you want to be a part of the artist community and have a gallery at AlternativePhotography.com?
Are you an artist working in alternative photographic processes? Show your work here! You will also get a lot of exposure for your work, it will be:
- seen by the 95 000 visitors that come to the website each month.
- featured in our newsletter with 5000 subscribers.
- sent out on our Facebook page (10 000 likes).
- sent out on our Facebook group (45 000 members).
- sent out on our Instagram (8 500 followers)
- sent out on our Twitter feed (2500 followers).
The objective of the AlternativePhotography.com gallery is to give artists exposure on the site and in the newsletter, leading to many good contacts. As you can guess, this amounts to a fair amount of work. It is therefore a requirement that you become a supporting member of the site. The cost for this is only 35 dollars a year and goes towards running costs of the site and promoting artists (your) work. Nothing else. No one gets paid and we also pay bills for the site out of our own pocket.
Send your work, what to send and how to the right. Please make our lives easy and send us ALL the stuff we mention.
If your work is accepted, it should be published within a couple of weeks, and you can start enjoying the benefits of being an artist on the site. The work is done manually and it can take a week or so before your work is added. Welcome!
“As an artist on this website, you are more than just another photographer – you are part of a unique creative community.”
Only alternative photographic processes are allowed in the AlternativePhotography.com gallery!
Please note that we only accept alternative processed images, since the site is dedicated to this. I’ll say this again: we ONLY accept alternative processed images. Silver gelatin and pinholes and transfers can be accepted if you also have other work done in an alternative process. Ask if you are unsure.
Which processes can I enter?
Digital or pinhole negative?
The way we see it is that which camera was used is irrelevant. If it was a 35mm, digital or pinhole, it doesn’t matter, what matters is that an alternative process was used before, during or after the image was taken. It is more interesting to see how different techniques can be combined.
For example, a photograph that is taken with a digital camera and printed out as a negative. The negative is then developed using an alternative process. OR a pinhole and cyanotype are combined. Or any other way your experimenting comes up with.
This may seem controversial to the hard-core alt. proc. purists or historians, but we feel that limiting the way a negative is created is limiting creativity. Alternative processes are sometimes very technical and embracing new technologies and combining new and old is a positive thing.
AI-generated text or images?
No. We don’t allow AI-generated texts and images. Read why here.
Defintion of alt. proc
The definition of alternative photography can be debated at length. Go here to see a list of our definition of alternative or historical photographic print processes that we welcome in the galleries.
Anything except NUDES…
Please note that we don’t accept nude photography, even if they are done in a very tasteful manner. We don’t like too many rules, but there are a couple of reasons:
- This site is open to everyone that includes educational institutions and cultures where nudity may be offensive.
- Access would be limited for people with children that have their Safe search or ‘adult’ filter on, and people surfing at work where companies have these filters in place.
Apart from that… any other subject is good. And if you’re not sure if your images would be accepted or not, please ask.
Updating your gallery
Keep your gallery up to date. Updates are free as long as your Supporting Membership is active. If it’s expired, all you need to do is sign up again.
3 simple steps to joining the gallery
1. Prepare your work
- Size images at 700 pixels wide or tall at 72 dpi.
- Name images with process and title. If the image is a Cyanotype called “Blue Flower” please name it: Cyanotype Blue Flower.jpg (not blue-flower-001.jpg or IMG000098.jpg or similar).
- Processes Only send us images made with alternative processes on this list. Think “quality” rather than “quantity”.
- Biography written in 3rd person between 200-500 words. Make it personal rather than a list of exhibitions.
- Self-portrait sized 150×150 pixels. Can be abstract if you are the shy type.
- A quote (10-30 words). Something you said or think in your own words, perhaps about why you work in alt. proc. or why you photograph.
- City & country you work in. If you’re American, please also write the name of the state, not just WA.
- Contact details, email (you can use one for the internet and one for private emails to reduce spam) and website (optional).
- Social media if you want us to tag you in our social media channels (optional), send us your Instagram handle, Twitter and Facebook profile.
2. Become a supporting member
This is a requirement to join the galleries.
3. Send your work
Email your work to:
If the files are too large to email you can send them by file transfer services such as Dropbox (get a free account) or WeTransfer etc, upload the images and send us the link.
Updating your gallery
If you already have a gallery with us and would like to update it, please make sure your Supporting Membership is still active.
Please also note that all the work with the galleries is done manually and it can take a few days. Thank you.