Galina Manikova works in a wide range of alt. proc. and also combines them into what she calls a combo-process. See her work.
From: Moscow, Russia, Lives in Horten, Norway.
Galina Manikova was born on Sakhalin island, grew up in Moscow, got educated in Jerusalem and lived in Norway since 1986.
Crossing all physical and imaginative borders and boundaries between countries and disciplines, provoking, questioning the traditional and the established values was a part of her education and her life.
Galina Manikova specialized in transferring images on ceramics, old photo techniques, screen printing, and lithography. Now she combines all sorts of techniques and materials to achieve the results she wants. She calls them combo-prints.
In the 80’s Galina Manikova started working with installations, ceramic sculpture with photographic images on, combination of two-dimensional motifs and three- dimensional shapes, illusions of depth and volume, photography on textiles and still images next to video projections and moving images. She is now working with photo emulsions on handmade paper, glass, ceramics, cotton fabric and silk mounted in several transparent layers illuminated and projected on walls, ceilings, and floors. She often uses letters and texts as part of her pictures.
Her background and identity, the 6 languages that she uses on a daily basis make her into who she is. She utilizes her background as a visual storytelling through her art. She has been high school and art academy teacher and lecturer for many years. Her work has been published in several serious books about alternative photography. Now she is also preparing texts and PDFs that can be offered for purchase later.
“I am a maximalist. I am incapable of doing anything halfway, or of including less than everything, everything that lies outside the frame.”
More about Galina Manikova:
- Contact email: galina (at) online.no
- Article Looking through, photographs on ice
- Article Galina Manikova by Galina Manikova
Galina Manikova’s work can be seen in the following publications:
- Lyle Rexer, “PHOTOGRAPHY`S ANTIQUARIAN AVANT-GARDE: the new wave in old processes”, ISBN-10: 0810904020, ISBN-13: 978-0810904026
- Christopher James, THE BOOK OF ALTERNATIVE PHOTOGRAPHIC PROCESSES: 3rd Edition, ISBN-13: 978-1285089317, ISBN-10: 1285089316
- Christina Z Anderson, Cyanotype: The Blueprint in Contemporary Practice (Contemporary Practices in Alternative Process Photography), ISBN-13: 978-1138338845, ISBN-10: 1138338842
- Peter Mrhar, Cyanotype, ISBN 9781492844594
- Annette Golaz, “Cyanotype Toning : Using Botanicals to Tone Blueprints Naturally», ISBN10: 0367553546, ISBN13: 9780367553548, https://www.bookdepository.com/author/Annette-Golaz,