How World Anthotype Day started and how to take part in World Anthotype Day – on the 3rd Saturday in August. Join the anthotype newsletter and you will be notified.
How World Anthotype Day started
The initiative of World Anththotype Day was started here, by us, after sending out the Anthotype Day survey and getting an overwhelmingly positive response. The core team for the first year consists of Malin Fabbri, the editor of this website, and Dennis Humphrey, both of us working on a voluntary basis. We will also need to hire developers to help with the technical aspects of the database, and students to help during the event itself, given all the hours it takes to keep the social media channels updated. We hope to expand the team of volunteers over the years.
Before you ask, Anthotype Day and World Anthotype Day are the same things. The official name is World Anthotype Day to emphasize that it is a global event. The dates of World Anthotype Day so far are:
- 20th of August 2022 – theme “Hope”
- 19th of August 2023 – no theme, instead find unusual plants for emulsions
- 17th of August 2024 – no theme, find unsual emsulsions. Planned for August 17th, open for entries on 1st of August
Hopefully hereafter, every year, on the 3rd Saturday in August.
Since anthotypes can have a very long exposure time and are also dependent on UV light for exposure—which differs, depending on where in the world you are—we encourage participants to start working on their image sooner rather than later. There will not be a specific theme, instead, we encourage you to EXPERIMENT and find UNUSUAL emulsions.
How to participate, what to enter, and the deadline
- All artists are welcome to enter the World Anthotype Day, experienced anthotypers as well as beginners.
- The event will opens for entries on 1st of August, here is how to enter.
- New to Anthotypes? Learn more in this article about Anthotypes.
- Or get more skills from the book Anthotypes – Explore the darkroom in your garden and make photographs using plants
This day will be a little different from other days…
If you have taken part in World Cyanotype Day or World Pinhole Day before, you know the drill. BUT, with World Anthotype Day, we don’t want it to be just a day, and then it’s over. We want to build on something that can be used by Anthotypers for a long time. This is what happens:
- Artists are encouraged to send in work, BUT the Anthotypes is published in an online database of emulsions that artists can search and use over time.
- Like the other days, we will also publish it on the social media channels for AlternativePhotography.com.
- In addition to this, there will be a book. Anthotype Emulsions, Volume 1 from the 2022 event can be found here.
We had so many good suggestions in the survey, so, hopefully, this event will grow over the years, and others all over the world will also have events of their own.
The official hashtags for the day that we will be posting under are:
#worldanthotypeday. Also tag us in your Insta posts: @alternativephotography_com
You can also use: #anthotypeday
These have also been used:
Theme: World Anthotype Day does not have a theme
In 2022 the theme was “Hope” but in 2023 and going forward there is no theme, instead, we encourage you to EXPERIMENT and find UNUSUAL emulsions.
The theme in 2022: Hope: After 2 years with a pandemic, with lockdowns, loss and restrictions, the tragic start of a war in Europe that will have consequences we are not yet even aware of, as well as the ongoing environmental crisis, Dennis Humphrey came up with a most fitting theme for this year during a planning meeting. The theme will be HOPE, because that’s what we thought the world needs right now… Hope.
All the links and archives
World Anthtotype Day 2024 is planned for 17th August, open for entries 1st of August
World Anthotype Day 2023
World Anthotype Day 2022
Of course, we also hope that you join in the fun!